Why Is My Home’s Crawl Space Musty and Moldy?
If you are looking to get rid of your moisture build up and want to extend the life of your Hillsborough home, then full crawl encapsulation is the key. Most of the “dirty” air that you breath comes from the crawl space below your floorboards. According to the EPA, over 60% of the air in the first floor of your house travels through the crawl space!
The negative pressure from your crawl space is often the result of a leaking HVAC system, which pulls the air from the crawl space through the flooring to your living area. During warm temperatures, this negative pressure draws hot, humid, moldy air into your crawl space where condensation helps mold growth take place. This hot, damp environment is the perfect and appropriate breeding ground for microbial activity. Soon, your whole family will breath the “dirty” air coming from your home crawl space.
Our solution to these problems? We inspect your crawl space and create a complete custom encapsulation plan to seal the area!
8 Reasons to Encapsulate & Seal the Crawl Space of Your Hillsborough Home
1. To eradicate the vapor transmission that occurs from your crawl space. More than 60% of your air in your living area comes from the crawl space. Without sealing your crawl space, you reduce the overall quality of your in-house air. The “dirty” air can rise through the flooring and then mix up with the clean fresh air in your home.
2. To control humidity in the entire home. During hot weather, humid air is able to enter your crawl space through the foundation vents. Once inside, this humidity can make its way into the rest of the house! The EPA, American Lung Association, and the American Medical Association recommend maintaining relative humidity levels from 30% – 50%.
3. To bring a new, dry and clean climate into your home. Moisture, warmth and a food source are the perfect environment for mold to grow. By encapsulating your overall crawl space, you can fully remove moisture that promotes mold growth om organic material like wood and paper used as insulation backing. Crawl space encapsulation will seal the area with non-organic material, reducing the surface areas where mold take hold.
4. To remove odors caused by crawl space moisture. Our encapsulation will fully remove that stale, musty odor present in your crawl space.
5. To stop insects and rodents. Damp environments are a haven for pests. Reducing your moisture buildup with a sealed Hillsborough crawl space will discourage parasites.
6. To save money! Some of our clients have noticed a decrease on their home energy costs by 15% per year from a quality crawl space encapsulation. Your HVAC system’s efficiency can be reduced severely by the open foundation vents found in the home. Cold air and hot air from seasonal weathers, travel into the house, thus making your HVAC system work harder and longer to keep your home warm and cool. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, if you properly insulate your crawl space – in addition to controlling moisture and air sealing, you will save on energy costs and improve your house’s comfort (A Consumer’s Guide to Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy – Crawl Space Insulation).
7. To preserve your home’s structural integrity. Humid air entering the crawl space from moisture in the ground of your house can become abundant enough to cause puddling. Combine this large amount of water and the dark and dank conditions in crawl space, and you have an adequate environment for breeds mold which can quickly spread to any organic material. Since moist wood is like a buffet to rot, termites and decay can eventually destroy your house’ structural stability.
8. To offer peace of mind! By cleaning your crawl space, you will improve the air quality in your living space while discouraging pests and mold growth.
Improve Your Air Quality & Ensure the Structural Integrity of Your Home with a Sealed Crawl Space.
Our company of crawl space encapsulation and sealing professionals hold the Council-Certified Microbial Remediation Supervisor (CMRS) designation. Our work is guaranteed with a lifetime warranty, so you can be confident in our expertise.
Call Us for Crawl Space Encapsulation and Sealing in Hillsborough
For a consultation, give us a call at 919-847-7072. You can also complete our online form if you prefer to learn more about the superior choice for crawl space encapsulation, basement services and schedule your no-obligation estimate today. Our specialists will visit your Hillsborough home to give you the most accurate price point for the job.