What is Happening in the Crawl Space of my home?
Crawl space encapsulation is the key to reducing moisture build-up and extending the life of your Raleigh area home. The crawl space is the origin for most of the “dirty” air in your home. The EPA says that 60% of all the air on the first floor of your house travels through the crawl space. Because of the penetrations in the floor that separate your living area from the crawl space and because of leaks from your HVAC system, a crawl space is usually kept under negative pressure. In the summer, this negative pressure draws hot, humid, mold-laden air into your crawl space where condensation and mold growth take place. It is the perfect breeding ground for microbial activity. This “dirty” air is then pulled into your living space environment for all to breathe.
The solution to these problems? Completely sealing the crawl space with a custom encapsulation from Crawl Space and Basement Technologies!
8 Reasons to Encapsulate & Seal Your Raleigh Crawl Space
1. To eliminate the vapor transmission that occurs in the crawl space. 60% of all air on the 1st floor of our homes comes from the crawl space. Without sealing your crawl space, this “dirty” air is allowed to permeate the rest of the house.
2. To control the humidity level in the entire house. When hot humid air is allowed to enter your crawl space through the foundation vents, this same air is allowed through the rest of the house! The American Lung Association, American Medical Association, and the EPA recommend maintaining relative humidity levels in the 30% – 50% range.
3. To create a new, dry, and clean climate that will no longer support mold growth. Excess moisture encourages mold growth on wood and any other organic material that is in the crawl space. Encapsulation of the crawl space will seal the area with non-organic material, reducing the surface areas where mold can grow.
4. To eliminate odors caused by crawl space moisture.
5. To discourage insects and rodents. Insects and rodents prefer a damp environment to nest. Crawl space encapsulation will prevent moisture build-up.
6. To save money! Some homes see a decrease in energy costs up to 15% per year from crawl space encapsulation by our Raleigh-based professionals. The efficiency of your HVAC system is reduced because of open foundation vents found in most homes. Cold air in the winter and hot air in the summer travels into the home, thus making your HVAC system work harder and longer to keep your home warm or cool. The U.S. Department of Energy adds “If you properly insulate your crawl space – in addition to air sealing and controlling moisture, you will save on energy costs and increase your home’s comfort” (A Consumer’s Guide to Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy – Crawl Space Insulation).
7. To preserve the structural integrity of your house. The ground below most homes contains large amounts of moisture, which enters an exposed crawl space as water vapor and, in some cases, may even become puddled water. When you combine that moisture with the dark and dank conditions of a crawlspace, you have a noxious, destructive environment where mold thrives and spreads at an alarming rate across any organic material. Aside from the fact that moist wood is like a dessert tray to termites, rot and decay set in and can eventually destroy the structural integrity of your home.
8. To give you peace of mind! When you encapsulate your crawl space, the clean dry space improves the air quality in your living space and also discourages pests and mold growth.
Improve Your Air Quality & Increase the Value of Your Raleigh Home with a Sealed Crawl Space
We hold the Council-Certified Microbial Remediation Supervisor (CMRS) designation and our work is guaranteed with a lifetime warranty, so you can be confident in our expertise.
Contact the Raleigh Crawl Space Encapsulation Specialists for Clean Air in Your Home
Contact us today at 919-847-7072. You can also fill out our online form to learn more about the benefits of our crawl space encapsulation and basement services in the Raleigh area and schedule your, no-obligation estimate today! We will visit your home to give you the most accurate price point for the job and our trained specialist will guide you through the options to determine the best solution for you and your budget.