If you’re like most homeowners, you want a clean, healthy, energy-efficient home, but if you’re ignoring your crawl space, any steps you take to improve your home won’t be effective. Crawl space encapsulation is key to improving air quality, minimizing pollutants, and increasing the efficiency of your home. With CBT of NC, we address and eliminate sources of moisture and create a sealed, dry space under your home that lasts a lifetime.
Why You Need to Seal Your Crawl Space
Encapsulating, or sealing your crawl space is necessary to eliminating moisture under your home and the problems that come with it. Rain, humidity, and other moisture seep into the soil around your home and into the crawl space. The moisture of the soil evaporates into your crawl space while the negative pressure of the area draws hot, humid air from outside into the space under your home. The combination of moisture sources creates a damp, stagnant space under your home that’s a breeding ground for the following problems:
- Mold growth
- Attracting pests, including spiders, roaches, and termites
- Rotting and warping wooden floor joists and structural elements of your home
- Wearing away the foundation of your home
- Bacteria growth
By sealing the crawl space, moisture can’t evaporate under your home and hot, humid air can’t seep in through cracks and voids in your foundation, thus keeping the space clean, dry, and free of the problems moisture can cause.
How the Crawl Space Affects Your Home’s Air Quality
Around 60 percent of the air on the first floor of your home enters through the crawl space by way of leaks in your duct work, small gaps, and voids in your floor and subfloor. All the bacteria, mold spores, and stagnant odors that are under your home are also penetrating your living spaces while the heated and cooled air from your HVAC unit is seeping down into the crawl space. Respiratory problems, skin issues, headaches, and allergies can often be attributed to poor air quality coming from your crawl space.
Understanding How Crawl Space Encapsulation Works
Crawl space encapsulation is an intensive process designed to completely seal the area under your home. Our experienced technicians put down thick layers of plastic sheeting on the ground under your home to eliminate any moisture from evaporating from the soil. This is not just adding a vapor barrier, we carry the sealing process up the walls of the crawl space. This prevents moisture from seeping in through the concrete as well as blocks the vents that allow hot, humid air from entering. A crawl space encapsulation contractor from our experienced team will also determine if an interior drainage system is necessary for additional waterproofing.
Why Choose Crawl Space Encapsulation?
If you’re not sure if sealing your crawl space is necessary, consider these eight key reasons to choose encapsulation:
- Eliminate vapor transmission. Crawl space encapsulation stops the air from your crawl space from going into your home and thus, minimizing “dirty” air from entering your living spaces.
- Reduce humidity through your entire home. Moisture under the home raises the humidity level through your living spaces and making it difficult to maintain healthy relative humidity levels of around 30 to 50 percent.
- Minimize or eliminate mold growth. Moisture leads to mold and mildew, and if mold spores are growing under your home, they can also travel into your living spaces. Crawl space sealing prevents mold growth under your home which means there are no spores that will enter your home from the crawl space.
- Create a healthier home. High humidity, mold, and mildew can trigger allergies and respiratory problems. A cleaner crawl space means you’ll have improved air quality throughout your home.
- Eliminate and prevent pests. Termites, rodents, and other pests seek out sources of moisture that can often be found in crawl spaces. Sealing the space keeps pests out!
- Reduce moisture damage. High humidity, mold, and moisture can rot or warp wood as well as attract termites and lead to expensive, dangerous structural damage. Sealing the area under the home preserves the structural integrity for years to come.
- Minimize energy costs. By working with our crawl space encapsulation contractors in Raleigh, your home can see a major drop in your energy bills. Sealing the space prevents cold and hot air from entering as well as stops your heated and cooled air from your home from leaving.
- Enjoy peace of mind. When you know your home is cleaner, healthier, and free of pests and other problems, you can feel more confident and worry less about your house. Less worry is always a good thing!
Choosing Our Crawl Space Encapsulation Contractors
At CBT of NC, we are dedicated to creating cleaner, drier, healthier homes and take pride in doing every job right. We are proud to hold the Council-Certified Microbial Remediation Supervisor (CMRS) designation showing that we have the experience and knowledge to effectively eliminate mold and mildew. Plus, we guarantee our work with a lifetime warranty which may be transferred when you sell your home (for free!).
Get a quote for Crawl Space Sealing in Raleigh Today
If you want a healthier home that’s free of odors, pests, and other problems, call us for crawl space encapsulation today at 919-847-7072 or fill out the online form to reach out to our team today and schedule a no-obligation estimate. We will visit your home to give you the most accurate price point for the job and our trained specialist will guide you through the options to determine the best solution for you and your budget.