Why does my crawl space have a musty smell?
Moisture build-up in your Chapel Hill crawl space is the reason for that musty air that you smell and even feel. This is the same air you are breathing in your living area. According to the EPA, approximately 60% of all the air in your homes first floor has traveled from the crawl space through cracks in the floor and the HVAC system. This happens because your crawl space is under negative pressure, which pulls the air into the home.
Once summer arrives, the negative pressure pulls the hot and humid air into your Chapel Hill crawl space. Once inside, condensation begins to sets in. This environment is the perfect breeding ground for microbial activity, rodents and pests. A full crawl space encapsulation is the only permanent way to reduce the moisture buildup and extend the life of your home.
How can you solve this problem? Call Crawl Space and Basement Technologies of NC to completely seal and encapsulate your crawl space!
8 Reasons Why You Need to Seal and Encapsulate Your Chapel Hill Crawl Space
1. Eliminate the vapor transmission from your crawl space. Remove the more than 60% of unhealthy air that comes from the crawl space. Failing to seal and encapsulate your crawl space, you are allowing “dirty” unfiltered air entry into the rest of your home.
2. Get control of humidity within your home. Foundation vents allow hot, humid air entry into your homes crawl space. Once in the crawl space, the air can gain entry into the living space of your house. The American Lung Association, American Medical Association, and the EPA recommend keeping relative humidity from 30%-50%.
3. Clean and dry environment. Prevent growth by removing all the moisture that helps unhealthy microbes to grow on organic material like wood and the paper backing on insulation. A crawl space encapsulation will seal the area with non-organic material, which reduces surface for continued growth.
4. Odor elimination. Avoid musty, stale odors by removing moisture in your home’s crawl space.
5. Prevent insect and rodent infestation. A damp environment is a perfect habitat for pests to nest. Prevent moisture build-up by sealing that open crawl space.
6. Save money! Reduce your heating and cooling bills by up to 15% annually from a Chapel Hill crawl space encapsulation. Reduced HVAC efficiency due to foundation vents can make your energy bill skyrocket in peak months. During Winter and Summer, the vents allow extreme temperatures to cause your system to struggle. Avoid over-stressing your unit and increase the longevity of your system by sealing the crawl space.
7. Protect your homes structural integrity. The ground below your home contains a massive amount of moisture. This moisture will enter your home through an exposed crawl space vent, static pressure as water vapor and may even become puddled water. The natural dark and dank conditions of a non encapsulated crawl space, mixed with moisture will create a noxious, destructive environment. Keep your home secure and stable by removing harmful moisture from your crawl space.
8. Peace of mind! Rest and breathe easier with a clean Chapel Hill crawl space encapsulation. The air in your home, your heating and cooling bills and your home’s value will all benefit from a crawl space encapsulation from our expert professionals.
Turn the Poor Air in Your Home to Clean Healthy Air with a Chapel Hill Crawl Space Encapsulation.
Our team is experienced in all manner of crawl space and basement sealing. We carry the Council-Certified Microbial Remediation Supervisor (CMRS) designation and guarantee our work with a lifetime warranty.
Speak to an expert today! Our specialist will visit your home to give you the best and most accurate price for your home’s project.
You can choose from the options provided to match your solution and meet your budget.